Saturday, November 3, 2012

Southern Saturday, from Breakfast to Dinner


This morning I was feeling a little bit southern, as I often do whenever I feel like being extra nice to my dear husband J So I whipped up his favorite biscuits and gravy! It also went with the theme for dinner which was just south of Arkansas,  some Cajun chicken pasta ( another new recipe this week)

I wasn’t so sure breakfast was going to happen this morning when about 6:30am the tornado child came into our room ready for the day. Luckily he went back to sleep, and since my husband knew I was going to make his favorite he even got up before us all to clean up the kitchen…isn’t he sweet? I was never much of a southern cook, but when you marry a man who is used to his sweet tea and grits in the morning , I had no choice but to learn.  My recipe for biscuits and gravy is half homemade, because like I told ya’ll before….i don’t do baking. SO pilsbury gets the brownie points for the biscuits. But the gravy is all me!

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Ingredients:

1.       Small tube of sausage

2.       ¼ cup flour

3.       3 cups of milk divided

4.       Salt and pepper

5.       1 tablespoon butter

6.       Tablespoon sugar

7.       Can of biscuits J

 

Directions:

1.      Bake your biscuits according to directions

2.      Brown your sausage in deep skillet

3.      Mix flour with 1 cup of cold milk. No lumps! Set aside

4.      Add the tablespoon of butter to the sausage

5.      Poor in milk

6.      Stirring constantly on low heat add milk and flour mixture

7.      Once it thickens season with salt and pepper and add sugar

8.      Pull your biscuits out and spoon the gravy over…mmmm so good
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!
 
I was really excited to try this recipe, ive been on this Cajun kick and my trusty rajun Cajun best friend is always encouraging of my habit J Since I was out of the authentic  smoked Louisiana sausage I had to find a different recipe to fill the spicy void in my stomach, and let me just say Oh My Gosh! I am soooo darn happy I tried this recipe it was so delicious!! It was also so simple! I have this rule that if a recipe takes up all 4 stove burners it qualifies as fancy food, and well this tasted fancy without taking too much of my time. It was great…we all chowed down and there was leftovers which I am so excited for because pasta is always better the next day.
 
Cajun Chicken Pasta
 
Ingredients:
2 chicken breast
3 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp butter
Your favorite Cajun spice blend        
1 box of penne pasta
¼ cup of flour
1 roma tomato
Parmesan cheese for garnish
 
Directions:
1.       Dice the raw chicken into inch size pieces and season with Cajun seasoning( I used tony’s)
2.       Melt  1 tbsp  of butter in on skillet and cook your chicken
3.       In another pot boil your water and cook your pasta
4.       In small sauce pot  add remaining butter, 2 cups cream, salt and cajun seasoning to your liking.
5.       Once the cream mix is bubbling pour into cooked and drained pasta
6.       Mix remaining cream with flour until smooth.  Add to pasta
7.       On low heat stir pasta until it has thickened, then turn off heat
8.       Serve pasta, add chicken on top and garnish with a dash of seasoning, diced tomato and cheese!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 SOOOOOO yummy!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment