Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Money (or lack thereof), Meal Planning, and Spicing up your menu


 

 

 

Saving money seems to be a hot topic these days, well WANTING to save money is. I’ve been asked to share how I plan my meals, how I budget for them and how I stick to my budget. I’m the first to tell you that saving money, living on a budget, and most importantly sticking to a budget are much easier said than done.

 First I’ll try and sum up how I go about it all, and then I’ll break it up into steps so it’s easier to follow and apply to your own home.

One of the most important parts of saving money, meal planning, or setting a budget is…Attitude. Bet you wouldn’t have guessed that? If you dive into budgeting with the wrong attitude you firstly won’t save any money, secondly you won’t enjoy doing it, and thirdly you’re going to give up before you see progress. Before you decide to start, clear your mind of all the negatives that go a long with saving money.  Realize that you will have to change around priorities. Understand that it’s ok to take baby steps until you reach your budgeting goals. Know that in the end it is going to be sooo worth it.  Mind clear? Great let’s start.

I’ll give you a rundown of what I do every two weeks.

I arrange all of our bills so that it is almost an even amount coming out of each paycheck. That way I always know how much is left over and there aren’t even any surprises.

 For example, we get paid twice a month. On the 1st, and the 15th. At the beginning of each month we always have the same bills. Car, Insurance, Credit Card. So I know the amount that will come out at the beginning of every month. Then on the 15th we pay Phones, Insurance, Internet, and Credit Card We have more bills on the 2nd pay check because the bills are smaller. So it evens out. Once my bills are paid I form the rest of my budget… I’ve had the same budget since May of this year and it has worked wonderfully for us. It took me 2 paychecks to figure out how I was spending and where my money was going.

When I first started budgeting I knew that where we lost the most money was food. I would go to the grocery store spend 300 and we’d run out of food before it was time to shop again. So the first thing I did was look at my previous months spending habits, decide how much you would like to be spending and try to meet that goal first. If you normally spend 300 and you want to only spend 150 then start there, I changed my grocery budget 3 times before finding the perfect goal that would give me enough for two weeks and I would also get to sneak in some treats and snacks. I spent too much on groceries and we ate out way too much! That was my first change in attitude. I told myself that I could cook all those meals that we ate at restaurants and it would cost me half the price. My 2nd change in attitude came when I realized I was being a brand snob. I was paying double; sometimes triple the price for things just because it was name brand. I hate to break it to you ladies and gents, but the store brand is almost ALWAYS just as good and so much cheaper. When you serve your family, the labels don’t go into the pot so no one will ever know the difference. After realizing I was a brand snob, I then came to the awful conclusion that I was being a real picky pain in the butt. I would run to the store whenever I got the craving for something just because I felt like it. GUESS WHAT?? When you’re poor…who cares what you’re eating as long as your families bellies are full.

A HUGE part of meal planning is planning ahead (duh). If I say we are having spaghetti on Thursday….guess what? We are having spaghetti on Thursday.  Now this doesn’t mean you can’t swap recipes last minute but you have to be realistic. If you don’t organize your meals, how are you supposed to shop for them? If you never know what you’re going to “feel like eating” you’ll never save money. Make your menu as if it was set in stone. And only shop for those meals when you are starting out.

So how do I decide what I’m going to plan on eating? I start with my 3 rules.

#1 I MUST try at LEAST 1 new recipe every week

#2 we WILL eat leftovers ONCE a week

#3 ONLY BUY THINGS ON SALE!!

The third rule is really the basis for successful budgeting. Every week I read the circular ads for my favorite grocery store. I personally like to shop at Kroger, because I can see all the deals online and I also really like their store brand stuff. I start with my staples. Meat, carbs, and produce. Every week different meats are on sale. I always choose different cuts of Chicken, Beef, and pork. Total up how much your meat would cost you. Then we go to carbs, I always have rice, pasta, and potatoes in my pantry. Look in your ad and see what deals they have on these. Again total how much your items would be. Now move on to produce see what is on sale and what is in season. Write down what you would normally make with these ingredients. If you are making a menu for two weeks break down you ingredients in a way that they will stretch the furthest. If chicken breast is on sale and it comes with 10 breasts but we only eat two per meal then you have 5 meals out of that one package. It’s always easiest to break down your meat first and then add sides to it. So now you have a list of usual meals you would make with these items. Next you need to pick a new recipe to try out. I LOVE pinterest….therefore that’s where I get a lot of my inspiration. So let’s say I want to try a new beef recipe…ask friends, look online, browse pinterest. Whatever you want to do to find a recipe for each week. Write it down. So you now have two days set. At my house we have leftovers every 4 days so that accounts for two more days in you plan. Now plug in your normal recipes into your plan.

Start simple when you first start planning. Once you have all of your staples listed out….look to see what other ingredients are on sale that you could use in your recipes. If condensed soups are on sale then maybe you can try more casseroles this week.

 Alternate meats and grains. If you have chicken one day have beef the next day, or if you have pasta one day have potatoes the next etc.

Get creative with your meals, be adventurous! I started out only trying one new recipe a week now I try 3 a week. Since every week new things are on sale I’m forced to try new recipes. You HAVE to force yourself to have variety. Only buying things on sale actually makes it easier. I like to think of it as a test…what can I come up with these ingredients…and I come up with some interesting combinations.

Now that I’ve probably confused you with all that goes on in my head every two weeks lets break it down J

 

Step 1:  Choose your budget. My budget is 160 every two weeks.

Step 2: Research sales, and be familiar with prices.

Step 3: Make lists, lots of them. List all sale items. List groceries you have to have (milk, eggs, bread etc.) list things you would like to try. List prices of everything. I always write 3 lists, one of everything on sale, one of things I need to get, and one of recipes I could make with what is on sale.

Step 4: pick your meals. Since you have all these lovely lists pick your favorites and start plugging them into your menu. Remember the rules. 1 new recipe. 1 leftover day. ONLY sale items.

Step 5: have a price next to every item on your list, and stick to your list. Take the guessing out of it. If something isn’t on sale that you need, Google the price. Always have a total before you shop.

Step 6: use a calculator while shopping. Always start with your staples, as you’re shopping add them up. Once you’ve gotten them see how much money you have left before meeting your budget. Then you can get all the extras, like sauces, spices, cheeses, snacks, desserts etc.

Step 7. Take advantage of sales… if they have pasta 10 for 10….buy it. If the pasta is normally 1.50 and you have the room in your grocery budget. Stock up, then next time you won’t have to get pasta and you can spend that money elsewhere.

Step 8. Make it fun… print out pretty lists to fill in. make a cool menu board. Reward yourself when you have an awesome shopping trip. Whenever I spend exactly my budget or a couple dollars less. I buy myself a milkshake… give yourself a reason to want to do it again.

 

 

I hope this was helpful; I will definitely re-visit this topic again. Please please feel free to ask questions. Meal planning takes effort. It doesn’t happen by accident and it’s not always easy. But one day you’ll be excited to sit down and make a menu, that’s when you know you’re doing it right. You will be amazed at how much more food you’ll have at home and how many awesome recipes there are out there if you just get out there and try!

 

I apologize if it’s a little scattered tonight, I’ve got a toddler full of Halloween candy distracting me J

No comments:

Post a Comment